Sunday, April 3, 2011

Slowly but surely

As mentioned in the last blog I really can't focus on one project at a time. It is HORRIBLE and drives me crazy but my brain just won't stop! Which results in many projects taking a LONG time to finish because I spend a little time on each here and there. I will try to work on that and FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS!
One project I started that is still in the works is turning these very LOVED scrubs (donated by a friend THANK YOU!) into some scrubs for my little man. Does he need scrubs...NOOOOOOOOOOOO But I couldn't bring myself to throw these babies out when I knew I could make some little scrubs out of them. AND I am using and expanding on my sewing knowledge so this is helping me in the long run! (And there is no pressure of them being perfect the wearer is two he really doesn't care. :)) To be honest they are actually harder then they look. I decided to try to copy the adult version exactly which means they are double sided so NO seams should be seen. To those that have sewing talent this may sound simple but I had no idea what I was doing so I ripped apart one of the seams on the original scrubs and to the best of my ability tried to mimic it. Lets just say I come away with much more appreciation to whoever makes Scrubs.
I used an old worn our pair of PJ pants as a pattern and cut out two pieces trying to use the sections least worn out.Then you need to pin them together but you don't line up the edges exactly you need to have one edge about 1/4 inch back from the first one. It is hard to show this in a pic so I put a pencil showing you the edge of one side.
You then sew up the side. Then you need to turn the longer edge over once and then again pin it and sew it. (You will be sewing through the leg not on the side like you usually do a seam.)

As this point I was so involved I totally forgot to take any more pictures hahaha! Sorry.
Basically you do the same idea with all the seam. I'm sure there is a better tutorial on this somewhere as mine did not turn out even close to perfect but it was fun to try. I still need to get the waste band in. I'm going to put an elastic waistband but I haven't had the chance to measure little man yet. Once I do I will post the final product on the pants. (we will see if I get around to making the scrub top.)

Recently I had a good friend give me her bag of "Donation clothes" (I LOVE people that want to donate stuff so I can try to be creative with it!) She told me that I could use it for material or whatever.....Well I maybe should have told her that I LOVE LOVE LOVE anything with a Hood. So when I got home and looked through the bag and found 4 awesome shirts with Hoods on them (they were seriously in better condition then the clothes in my closet hahaha) I could not help but use them in my wardrobe. (I asked her is she would mind if I did first.) I did a little bit of tweaking on them but I totally forgot to take before and after photos but I'm in love! As for the other sweaters I have ideas for them and will hopefully be working on them soon.
I have also been working on other projects as proof here is my garage:
You have seen the little night stand in a previous post. Poor girl was pretty hammered up but like I mentioned she is PURE wood so I'm stripping and sanding her down.
The black poles....Well I will tell you more about them in the next post.
The chair is one of two (there is a blue one in the background that I was taking apart) that Mikey was given with a small table. The table is an espresso finish which we love. The two chairs were red and blue but the paint was coming off and every time they got tipped over the paint would come off on the wall, curtain, plastic toy or whatever else it hit so I decided they needed to be redone.

Oh and Little man has slept in his big boy bed two nights in a row! YAY! The hubs didn't want me to put a rail to keep him from falling so we put the crib mattress on the floor but he hasn't fallen out once. He does try to break his neck by body leaping from his big boy bed onto the crib mattress so I'm thinking I'm going to just do away with the mattress on the floor all together and hope he stays in his bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment