Monday, April 18, 2011

Leslie's Breadsticks (made pizza dough)


I am always on the look out for a quick, simple but still yummy recipe for just about anything. I will try any recipe once. When it comes to Bread dough I have a hard time because I generally don't think about making bread for a meal far enough in advance to let it rise once let alone twice.
My good friend Leslie shared her breadstick recipe with me but I needed pizza dough so I used it for that and I think it is one of my favorites so far. Forgive the photo I'm not the best at pictures it looked SO ymmy in real life! On mine I used half a tub of the New philly cooking cream (the original flavor) I added at least 1/4 cup of minced garlic and Italian seasoning to it. Sorry I tend to not measure. (There is an Italian cooking cream that I'm sure would work well but I had the original on hand.) Then I topped it with thinly sliced tomatoes, chopped fresh basil, sliced sweet onion and an Italian blend of Cheese. (I think the blend was mozzarella, smoked Gouda, and parmesan. (I wish that I would have put more Basil it seemed like a lot but the flavor was not as strong as I would have liked. I also think some cooked chicken would have been fabulous on it.)
As a warning this dough recipe makes a LOT of dough. I made a HUGE round pizza pan and a half a cookie sheet worth of pizza, and that wasn't rolling it super thin. I'm going to try to half it next time.
Here is the awesome recipe with anything in () is what I did. (The bread sticks are super yummy too!)

1 1/2 Cup Very Warm Water
1 Tbsp Yeast
1/2 Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Sugar
4 Cups of flour


Dissolve yeast in water. (I usually sprinkle in a little of the sugar my mom always told me it helps the yeast.)
Mix all other ingredients together and then add the yeast mixture.
Kneed until smooth. (Super easy in your kitchen aid, I do not have one and used my hands and it turned out fine.)
Let sit 5 minutes. (Yes only 5 minutes no an hour YAY!)
At this point you either start pulling pieces off and rolling them into bread sticks OR you roll out your pizza dough (The dough should be elastic-y, I was amazed how perfect this dough felt for the first time making it. )

Breadsticks: Roll into breadsticks place on cooking sheet spread with butter garlic mixture Bake at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes. bruch with garlic butter mixture sprinkle with cheese and enjoy!

Butter Garlic spread for breadsticks: (Leslie said this is WAY too much butter I think she uses a 1/2 cup of butter instead. You can play around with the topping to make it the way you like it.)
1 cup of butter
3 tbs Johny's Garlic spread


Pizza: Bake at 425 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes (It depend on your pan and your oven and how soft or cripsy you like your pizza. I actually liked how the cookies sheet baked the crust better than the dark pizza pan I have. Or you could try a pizza stone!)

No comments:

Post a Comment